I’ve taken a little break from the Disaffected Mormon Underground for the last couple months. I still check the Foyer occasionally, monitor my site to make sure no one has left an unanswered comment here, and keep up with Wry and Craig, but that’s about it. The result? Well, I’ve probably read more books in the last few months than in the previous year. I’ve also been busy rehabilitating a room in my house for me to move all my junk into (the baby is taking my fortress of solitude!). I still have a lot of work to do on the room; the baby, not so much. I’d better hurry.
Anyway, to ease my transition back into blogging, I thought I’d start with Wry’s recent meme, since I can’t resist memes.
Simple meme of 50 questions and answers.
1. What do you add to your coffee? I can’t stand the taste of coffee. Or tea. Blame Heber J. Grant or something. I can drink tea if I empty half the sugar bowl into it. And then, still with an occasional grimace.
2. What are you reading now? I just finished Atmospheric Disturbances by Rivka Galchen. I love, love, loved this book. And not because it is partly set in Argentina or because the author photo looks like Evangeline Lilly. I don’t even like Evangeline Lilly, so there. Sadly, the book (about a psychiatrist who is having a psychotic break, but doesn’t realize it) reminded me a lot of myself.
3. Do you own a gun? No. I always wanted one since I enjoy shooting at a range, but it’s never been worth the hassle. Now that I am having a kid, definitely not.
4. Are you registered to vote? Yes. But I never bother to vote for anything lower than congressperson. I’m probably going to move eventually, so why bother with selectmen or women or city council people?
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? It depends. If it’s a normal, no-injection visit, then of course not. If I’m scheduled for, you know, taint surgery, then yeah. Quite a bit.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? Good at ballparks, not so good at home in the microwave. I always want to get the footlong hotdog and 20 oz. drink at Costco for $1.50, but there’s always about ten people waiting on line to get the exact same thing.
7. Favorite Christmas Song? “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” It sounds very dark for a Christmas song. Very nice.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? I would prefer soda, but now I usually have a bottle of Poland Spring. You know, so I’ll live five minutes longer.
9. Can you do push ups? Yes. How many? Probably not more than 15. It’s been a while.
10. What was the name of your first boyfriend/girlfriend? Well, this is a very subjective question, isn’t it? What counts as a girlfriend?
11. What’s your favorite piece of jewelery? I don’t particularly like jewelry, but I suppose I’d better say wedding ring, right?
12. Favorite hobby? Reading.
13. Do you work with people who idolize you? Funny. I think I’m on probation, if that answers the question.
14. Do you have ADD? Probably. See probationary status at work above.
15. What’s one trait that you hate about yourself? Lack of initiative.
16. What’s your Middle name? I’m not sure Nedward Flanders has a middle name. Google came up empty.
17. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment. I don’t want to go to bed. I don’t want to go to work tomorrow. I’m afraid my cat will have scratched his ear off by morning.
18. Name 3 things you bought yesterday. A new toothbrush. Flouride rinse. Deodorant. Hey, you asked.
19. Name 3 beverages you regularly drink. Caffeine-free Diet Pepsi, Poland Spring, eh, that’s it.
20. Current worry right now? See cat above.
21. What side do you dress to? I have no idea what this even means.
22. Favorite place to be? Bookstore.
23. How did you bring in the New Year? I was washing dishes. My wife was asleep. Party.
24. Where would you like to go? Scandinavia, Russia, Western Isles.
25. Name three people who will complete this. Good question.
26. Whose answers do you want to read the most? See above.
27. What color shirt are you wearing? White.
28. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? Sounds vaguely sleazy. So no.
29. Can you whistle? Not at all. And not for lack of trying. I’ve given up.
30. Favorite colors(s)? Navy blue.
31. Could you be a pirate? Are you asking if I’ll kill people for money and goods? No. Maybe for spite. Is a spite-rate a thing?
32. What songs do you sing in the shower? Top 40.
33. Favorite girls name? Charlotte.
34. Favorite boy’s name? Thomas.
35. What’s in your pocket right now? Nothing. I’m at home.
36. Last thing that made you laugh? The Colbert Report.
37. Best bed sheets as a child? Weird question. I remember being awfully fond of some “Return of the Jedi” sheets. Although I do suspect that my father liked Star Wars more than I did.
38. Worst injury you’ve ever had? My sister hit me in the head with a baseball bat.
39. Do you love where you live? No, not at all.
40. How many TVs do you have in your house? 3.
41. Who is your loudest friend? I don’t think I have one.
42. How many dogs do you have? No dogs. I can barely take care of a cat.
43. Does anyone have a crush on you? If they do, they should be in therapy. How would one know anyway? Another odd question.
44. What are the most fun things you ever did? Went to Easter Island.
45. What are your favorite books? Crime and Punishment; Jane Eyre; The Magic Mountain; Edgar Huntly; El Juguete Rabioso
46. What is your favorite candy? Raisinets.
47. Favorite Team? Jets/Mets/Islanders/Hearts/West Ham/Udine/Nacional/Banfield. I think I’ve run out of countries. I have no opinion on Chilean soccer or the Eredivisie. Although Ajax has a cool name.
48. What songs do you want played at your funeral? I would never do that to people I love. If I was ticked off at them, then maybe “Sussudio” by Phil Collins.
49. What were you doing at 12 AM? Answering these fifty questions! They could’ve been pared down a bit.
50. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? Just a few more minutes.